My friend the communist
Holds meetings in his RV
I can't afford his gas
So I'm stuck here watching TV
I don't have digital
I don't have diddly squat
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got


And so begins the song "Soak Up The Sun" by the lovely SHERYL CROW

I always enjoyed the song when it came on the radio, I would sing along, much to the amusement of the other drivers.
Then one day, I listened to what Sheryl and I were singing.

It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got



As simple as that was, I was suddenly struck by its wisdom.  I began to think about it in my own life.
Unfortunately the more I thought about it, the more I realized I spent too much time and energy into either wanting things I didn't have yet or thinking that I needed to get the new version of this or the updated, flashier upgraded one of those.

Think about it.  How much of what you have in your life do you want? I mean truly want?
How much thought and  energy do you waste wishing things were different?

So many of us, even those of us who should know better, waste a whole lot of time thinking that things will be so much better when..

...I lose weight!
....when I get that new job!
...move to a bigger place!
...am healthier!

 Yes, the situations in our lives, good and bad, impact us, but the truth is that we always have a choice about how we react to our situations.

More money, a job, a better job, bigger house,  or any of the myriad of things we think we want, won’t, no cannot make us happy.

“Wanting what we’ve got” doesn't mean everything is "perfect" in our lives, or that we can't want for things to change or grow in a positive way.

 It simply means we choose to accept what we have in our life, right now. Not just accept but accept with gratitude.

I am not talking about being complacent, weak, or giving up.  I’m talking about making peace with  life as it is, now.

So take a look at your life and try to see the positive in it.
By focusing your attention on wanting what we’ve got,  we will create a deeper sense of peace and joy in our lives.

Now, if you will have to excuse me, because...

I'm gonna soak up the sun
Gonna tell everyone
To lighten up (I'm gonna tell 'em that)
I've got no one to blame
For every time I feel lame
I'm looking up o I'm gonna soak up the sun
I'm gonna soak up the sun

No comments:

Post a Comment