Smile



It was typing class in  Charles Marion Russell High School that I meet Jeffery Allan Overturf.

He has been known by many names, Jeff, Turf, Stinky the Clown, The Answer Man and many more.

Jeff is a wonderfully talented man. He is an artist, he is musician and a hellva funny guy.

We partnered in high school to form a comedy team called Idiots Inc.

Jeff has written some fabulous songs, following is one of my favorites.

I think we can all learn a little something from Uncle Jeffy’s song.



The Smile

I went for a walk
down to the park

Tryin' to fire up my engine
with a plug in my spark

I saw a little girl laughin'
at some funny bug she'd found

How'd she find the sunshine
so close to the ground?

Well, I watched this girl gigglin'
and then she saw me too

And she was so red and yellow and orange
and I was so blue

She was so full of "happy"
and she saw I had none

And she said,
"I got 'smiles' to spare."
and she let me have one.

Well, I went on back home
and I felt back in place

And of all of that fog that I'd left there,
there was nary a trace

My shutters were open
and there was sun through my blinds

And all of my feelin's that mattered,
were once again mine.

So you can look on the mountain
and you can search o'er the globe

And you can seek out the wisdom
that's behind a black robe

And you'll prob'ly find answers,
but none quite so true

As an "unasked for smile"
that's just given to you.

And it was worth a jillion dollars,
but no payment got asked

So when I'm out there pacin'
and I see a "blue mask"

I pass on that twinkle
that she'd shared with me

And I watch the mouths wrinkle,
'cause they know, it's for free

But regrets are like anvils
that you carry around

And you don't make 'em lighter
by wearin' a frown

So if you go out walkin' and see this girl, would you please Pay her special attention and thank her for me.

Yep, tell her she's got change comin',
for the "smile" she gave me.




A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.  ~Phyllis Diller


If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it.  ~Andy Rooney





A Few Good Reasons
Why You Should Smile




Smiling Makes Us Attractive

We are drawn to people who smile. We want to know why they are happy.

Smiling Changes Our Mood

Next time you are feeling down, try smiling.
There's a good chance you’ll feel better. Smiling can trick the body into helping you change your mood.

Smiling Is Contagious

See Jeffy's Song

Smiling Makes You Feel Better, Physically Better

Science has shown that smiling helps boost your immune system.


Smiling Lowers Your Blood Pressure

When you smile, there is a measurable reduction in your blood pressure. Give it a try if you have a blood pressure monitor at home. Sit for a few minutes, take a reading. Then smile for a minute and take another reading while still smiling. Do you notice a difference?

Smiling Releases Endorphins, Natural Pain Killers and Serotonin

Studies have shown that smiling releases endorphins, natural pain killers, and serotonin. Together these three make us feel good. Smiling is a natural drug.

Smiling Lifts the Face and Makes You Look Younger


The muscles we use to smile lift the face, making a person appear younger. Don't go for a face lift, just try smiling your way through the day -- you'll look younger and feel better.

Smiling Makes You Seem Successful

Smiling people appear more confident, are more likely to be promoted, and more likely to be approached. Put on a smile at meetings and appointments and people will react to you differently.


Smiling Helps You Stay Positive

Try this test: Smile. Now try to think of something negative without losing the smile. It's hard. When we smile our body is sending the rest of us a message that "Life is Good!" Stay away from depression, stress and worry by smiling.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. 
W.C. Fields


No comments:

Post a Comment